The Cross Revealed

God has given us all that we need to lead a life pleasing to Him. We abandon confidence in ourselves or other men, and cast ourselves on Jesus, "The author and finisher of our faith".

Saturday, July 1, 2023

The mystery of the cross

 "But God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world." Galatians 6:4

I'd imagine that Paul's message of grace was eagerly received by those in the province of Galatia. He really meant it when he said, "I would have you know nothing save Jesus Christ, and Him crucified." But then Paul leaves, and sure enough some "teachers" come in to rob them of their liberty in Christ. They say that Paul is too simplistic. Christ alone cannot be your full confidence. You need to observe fasts and rituals. Or circumcision. Etc. But Paul insists that they must have been bewitched if they have been taken in by these teachers. No, Christ is enough. End of discussion. 

My struggle is how to interact with those who have not shared in the glory of the cross. Like the Galatians, they don't believe that the Gospel really is as simple as this. When their faith is tested by unfavorable circumstances, they do not rely on Him, casting their cares on Him as He asked us to do. They do NOT consider it "all a joy" when they fall into various tribulations. I can share what I know, but it's as if some giant blanket is covering them, holding them back from seeing the truth. 

I have no answers here. It is painful to see the ones I love suffer. Truth is, we all suffer. However, if we see the "Glory to be revealed in us", we know that this "present tribulation is preparing us for an eternal weight of glory". And we can be happy, even when things are not looking too bright. 


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home