The Cross Revealed

God has given us all that we need to lead a life pleasing to Him. We abandon confidence in ourselves or other men, and cast ourselves on Jesus, "The author and finisher of our faith".

Wednesday, July 5, 2023

Offended Missionary

 "When my soul fainted within me, I remembered the LORD, and my prayer came in, unto thee, into thine holy temple" Jonah 2:7


I suppose a crisis reveals our true hearts more than any other life event. The Ninevites had done all sorts of evil things to the Israelites. So when Jonah heard that the LORD would soon destroy them, he was happy about it. When the LORD told him to go preach to Ninevah, he runs away. In his heart, he is afraid that if he preaches to them, they might repent, and God would relent of the judgment on them. But God didn't let him get away with it. He causes a great storm upon the sea and Jonah finds himself in the belly of a great fish. In the midst of the fish, he prays, and soon finds himself in Ninevah. 

How are we with those who have offended us? Do we sometimes say, "I will forgive, of course, but I will not forget"? Do we pray for them with open hearts, or do we inwardly bid them good riddance? God's Word is clear: Love your enemies, bless them. Do we? It seems to me that far more common is cold heart towards those who have done us wrong. May I suggest that if this is you, my friend, that you do not yet know Him as you ought? "Beloved, let us love one another. For love is of God, and everyone who loves is born of God, and knows God. But he who does not love, does not know God, for God is love" I John 4:7-8. 

No, love for those who have used us, abused us, scorned us or ignored us is not from the world. This sort of love comes only from knowing God. When we know Him, we know love for our enemies. When we know God, all of Him extends His heart to those who are lost. Our forgiveness is more than just words, for we love with the love of God, who, while yet we were His enemies, died for us. I pray that God gives us the grace of repentance, so that our hearts can be one with Him. Mercy must triumph over judgment. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home